Mack Commandeers the Blog: Valentine’s Day Edition | McGowan Images Blog

Mack Commandeers the Blog: Valentine’s Day Edition

Chelsea and I don’t do Valentine’s Day. In my pre-Chelsea days it was always known as “Single Awareness Day”, and that’s still more or less how I feel about it. I do, however, tend to spoil her pretty much all the time. If she disagrees, ask her when she last poured her own cereal 😉 This year, spoiling Chelsea and Valentine’s Day happened to coincide a little bit, so I thought that’d be OK. I’m not a BIG spoiler (can’t set the bar TOO high, right gentlemen?), but I do try to listen when she’s dropping me hints… Like when she asked me if she could have this book at Anthropologie, and I told her no!

I actually snapped this picture with my iPhone, so I wouldn’t forget about it– And for once it worked! I TOTALLY remembered to buy her this book. Maybe I’ll even get a little of the credit for ol’ Pablo’s romance. Probably not. But it’s a nice thought! Chelsea also has an ever-growing collection of Penguin and Puffin hardcover classics, so I tend to be on the lookout for new ones to add to her collection. She has several shelves around the house that look about like this:

So I found a couple new pieces to complement the look. Think these will work?

Don’t worry, she won’t be weirded out by the Dracula one. She specifically requested it!

But I didn’t write this post to brag (mostly because my little Valentine’s Day spoiling looks pathetic next to what most of your sweethearts will do today). I wrote it to encourage you to spoil somebody in your life every now and again. My kids get it a lot, from us and from their grandparents, and pretty much everybody else they run into. Chelsea gets it some, mostly from me, but also from you guys. Y’all really are the best.

I tend to forget when I get spoiled, but when Jack got home from school yesterday, he gave me this card that I won’t soon forget. You see, today is the day when I FINALLY get to finalize his adoption. He’s been “mine” pretty much forever, in my mind and heart, but now I’ll actually have my name on his birth certificate. And if the court asks me this morning to prove that I’m his Dad, I’m going to show them this:

Dads can be spoiled, too. Happy Valentines Day!

1. Ambo

February 14th, 2012 at 7:56 am

Yay!!!!!! Congrats you guys!!! Would never have imagined that Jack wasn’t ‘yours’ and now its official! So happy for your AMAZING family! Love love ya’ll!

2. Rachael

February 14th, 2012 at 7:57 am

“anyone can be a father. it takes someone special to be a dad”. Congrats on what I am sure is one of the best days of your life and of your family’s life together. so happy for you four!!!!

3. Carman

February 14th, 2012 at 7:57 am

Aww, that brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations on getting the adoption finalized.

4. Misty

February 14th, 2012 at 8:01 am

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY that is SO awesome, congrats to you both and to Jack too!!! And OMG AWWW could this entire post BE any sweeter???!!! It really is a very Happy Valentine’s Day for the McGs, YAY! 🙂

5. Jenn

February 14th, 2012 at 8:38 am

Congratulations to you guys! Jack is a blessed little boy 🙂 Sweetest post and a Valentine’s you guys will always remember.

6. Chelsea D.

February 14th, 2012 at 8:49 am

That is wonderful Mack! I know Jack is so lucky to have you as his example. You guys truly are awesome! Thank you for sharing the card and congrats on making it official!

7. meaganB

February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

Now I’m all weepy at my desk. You’re a good man, Mack. A really good man. I love that Jack wrote, “kind.” That’s the best kind to be.

8. Sarah

February 14th, 2012 at 9:40 am

I don’t even know you guys, except for blog stalking, but seriously, tears are rolling. I got chills when I read this. I know what it is like to be Jack, to have that amazing man in your life, that may not be your father, biologically, but the man that God put into your life to be your dad. The one that stepped up and dated a woman with kids. The one constant when everything else seemed to be falling apart. The one who was the dad that he didn’t have to be. Congratulations on the adoption. Your family is so blessed.

9. Lacey

February 14th, 2012 at 9:40 am

Mack this post made me cry happy years for you and your family. I am glad Jack will officially be yours since he always has been yours all along. You are such an amazing person and Dad!! Congrats Mack and Chelsea !!!

10. Angela

February 14th, 2012 at 9:45 am

Aww! I got all teary eyed reading that! Congrats on making it all official. Enjoy your relationship with that sweet boy!

11. MaryAnn Arnold

February 14th, 2012 at 10:30 am

Anyone would be lucky to call you Dad! Happy V-Day to both of you! –MaryAnn

12. Arly

February 14th, 2012 at 10:55 am

That is so awesome it brought tears to my eyes!! Congrats! Im sure Valentines day will be a very special day in the McG household from now on.

13. Christian

February 14th, 2012 at 11:02 am

I am crying in my office all alone in the hallway, but with the happiest smile on my face! Mack, you are a wonderful and loving father! I absolutely admire you! and to the entire McGowan bunch .. CONGRATULATIONS! I can’t imagine how your day is going 😉 but mine is now FaNtAsTiC! I love ya’ll! So SO happy for you!

14. Liesa

February 14th, 2012 at 11:03 am

You have me tearing over here! Hallelujah, I am so happy for you guys! This is way better than the usual chocolates and flowers. Oh happy day!

15. Sarah

February 14th, 2012 at 11:30 am

That is seriously so awesome. Congrats to you all!!!

16. Nicole

February 14th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Wow…I think you and Jack totally got the best Valentine’s Day gifts EVER!!!

17. annie

February 14th, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Seriously crying right now. Mack – I love you. Thank you for taking such great care of my wonderful friend and being such an awesome person and dad. You are truly one of a kind.

18. Kevin

February 14th, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Love the books! That’s always like an adventure looking for the next book that fits her collection perfectly. But most importantly, congrats on being Dad to an awesome little guy! That letter is priceless!!!

19. Abby

February 16th, 2012 at 1:53 am

I cried reading this, no big deal- what a perfect valentines day for you guys!!! I am so proud for y’all 🙂

20. Gotcha Day! » McGowan Images Blog

February 17th, 2012 at 6:02 am

[…] many of you saw in Mack’s blog post on Tuesday, and even MORE of you saw on Facebook, Valentine’s Day was an especially wonderful one for […]

21. Gotcha Day! » McGowan Images