Behind the Scenes : First Half 2015

As we were gearing up to leave the office for the better part of a month (yay for summer vacation!), I realized I had yet to share the “Behind the Scenes” gems from the first half of our 2015 work year. These images aren’t really informative, they don’t serve any purpose, and they’re only flattering about half the time. But they’re fun, and they’re funny, and if nothing else, I like having a record of the kind of shenanigans we get up to while we’re earning a paycheck.

So feel free to stick around if you like funny faces, weird poses, Mack’s pictures of my butt #sorrynotsorry, or if you’ve ever wondered what we wear to a wedding (Spoiler alert… we don’t have uniforms.). We’ll start with one of the funny faces!

McGFirstHalf2015_blog01McGFirstHalf2015_blog02

About the calmest you’ll ever see me “behind the scenes” is on Newborn Session days…

McGFirstHalf2015_blog03McGFirstHalf2015_blog04

Because normally, well, we look like this:

McGFirstHalf2015_blog09

I get SUPER into demonstrating bridal poses…

McGFirstHalf2015_blog05McGFirstHalf2015_blog06

But Mack still manages to look better than me when he’s just standing there.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog07

… ok. Not always.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog08

nothing is as fun as demonstrating engagement session posing… even when the snuggles are sweaty.

chelsea-&-mack-pose-demonstration

McGFirstHalf2015_blog10McGFirstHalf2015_blog11

Sometimes, the way we stand to take a photograph looks absolutely normal.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog12

Other times… notsomuch.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog13McGFirstHalf2015_blog14McGFirstHalf2015_blog15

Oh yeah, Nikki was definitely standing on the edge of a rock with a snake under it while taking this photo… I didn’t tell her about the snake. WORTH IT.

McGowanImages_Cameron&ChelseaEng_57

McGFirstHalf2015_blog16McGFirstHalf2015_blog17McGFirstHalf2015_blog18

I’ve noticed when looking through these “Behind the Scenes” images that once I demonstrate to a client how to stand for a portrait (which usually involves some sort of hip-popping because I’m sassy like that), I tend to just STAY that way. Sassy shooting stance?

McGFirstHalf2015_blog19McGFirstHalf2015_blog20McGFirstHalf2015_blog21

Either way, our ink is usually on display, so if you’re offended by tattoos, we’re probably not a good fit for you. 😉

McGFirstHalf2015_blog22

McGFirstHalf2015_blog23

Mack is already teaching our son how to look like a stud in a light-testing image…

McGFirstHalf2015_blog24

… but hey, Mack? That’s not how you’re supposed to test a flash.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog25

Our jobs aren’t always just about photographs. Sometimes we’re fixing a broken zipper just minutes before a bride is supposed to walk down the aisle…

McGFirstHalf2015_blog26

… and sometimes we’re having intense conversations with beautiful children about the intricacies of Mermaid society (which I obviously know about because I’m a real mermaid DUH just ask Charlotte.)

McGFirstHalf2015_blog27

And sometimes we get muddy, and have to rinse off in the creek before we’re allowed back in the car.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog28

Either way, our jobs are always best with other killer vendors by our side…

McGFirstHalf2015_blog29McGFirstHalf2015_blog30

And whenever we possibly can, we try to sneak onto the floor for a dance.

McGFirstHalf2015_blog31

The first half of this year was kind of wonderful. How about we do it all over again in the fall?

1. Susan B

July 23rd, 2015 at 10:27 am

your photos and blogs always make me smile, snicker, sigh….and this is no exception. So nice to get a view of you guys and how y’all work!

2. Marian

July 23rd, 2015 at 10:28 am

I LOVE that you do this! Such a great idea 🙂 there is a reason for this… If I was a client, I’d feel more comfortable knowing it wouldn’t be awkward because you two would be there every step of the way.
    Love these images and so fun!

3. Adria

July 23rd, 2015 at 10:49 am

3 things:

1) WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO CUTE?
    2) If you ever don’t tell me about a snake, we shall have WORDS. And probably a strongly worded letter.
    3) Your work is gorgeous, even when you’re not trying. It’s amazing and intimidating all at the same time.

4. Mari Thomas

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:16 am

Gawwww….I managed to catch a good dancing shot of you guys! (I didn’t want to touch ANY of your settings!) <3

5. Sara Scott

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:24 am

Freaking adorable! You make me want to be cooler! .. sigh

6. Amanda J.

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:31 am

These and all behind the scenes types of posts are my favorite second only to your family posts (i.e. McGowan posts). Please never stop posting them.

7. Erica

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:36 am

This is one of my favorite blogs you post each year. I love seeing you working together and enjoying every minute of it! You guys are an excellent duo and go above and beyond for all of your clients!

It doesn’t hurt that my adorable little man made a cameo! 🙂

8. Victoria

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:39 am

Honestly,

I love you guys. I wish we were friends in real life. I also have a little bit of photographer husband jealousy, I’m still shooing solo at the moment and SOO lonely!!! I need a good second shooter and just can’t seem to find the right person.

Totally wish my hubby was there with me. Anyway, you guys are from my homestate and we need to get together sometime. Do you offer workshops? I’m looking to get better and you both are on my top favorite photographers to follow!

Let me know 🙂

XOXO
    Victoria

9. Ambo

July 23rd, 2015 at 11:59 am

I absolutely love these posts! You guys always look phenomenal, even when ya are goofing off.

10. Melinda

July 23rd, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Ummmm LOVED THIS!!!! First of all – your husband is pretty freaken flexible! hahaha….he was doing like 10 different yoga moves. Secondly, I am pretty freaken jealous at your wardrobe. You have the cutest outfits! Third, I always like to see the peoples facial expressions in the backgrounds. These were great! Lastly….Your work is pretty awesome. One of my faves.

11. Jennifer Ritter

July 24th, 2015 at 8:51 am

You guys are awesome and I love all the behind the scenes shots. Can’t wait to see you in October!

12. nikki

July 25th, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I’m in a BTS blog post?? OMG I feel famous! LOL.

WAIT. There was a SNAKE??????????????????????????????

13. Danna Steckler

July 27th, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I’m pretty honored to make this blog! And let me tell ya we still laugh about my zipper. I’m so thankful Mack got it fixed and Chelsea started quoting the movie Bridesmaid with my bridesmaids to keep me laughing when I wanted to cry/freakout!

14. Morgan G